Prepare, Sustain, Thrive and Survive Simply
House plants NASA recommends for indoor air purification:
1. Peace lilies ranked highest at cleansing nearly all chemicals floating around in today’s home air. These were the most effective plants at removing benzene, formaldehyde, xylene, toluene and trichloroethylene from the atmosphere. Peace lilies are common in both homes and offices and perform well even in low-light conditions. They can be located several feet away from a window.
2. Sanseveria, called snake plant, performed second highest, removing nearly all air contaminants. This was good news because they’re not only easy to grow but long-living, with plants commonly reaching ages of 25 to 40 years old. Being a succulent, they are tolerant of occasional neglect (That makes them perfect for me!).
3. Palms including areca, lady and bamboo types. Avoid soggy soil, and watch for spider mites.
4. Golden pothos, also called devil’s ivy, is a rapid-growing vine useful for hanging baskets or anywhere trailing plants are needed.
5. Several types of dracaenas made the list, including marginata, Warnecki and Janet Craig types.
6. English ivy has a classic appearance. Occasionally washing the foliage will reduce its susceptibility to spider mites.
7. Chrysanthemums and gerbera daisies are effective purifiers, but they are difficult to maintain as house plants, other than enjoying them occasionally as blooming gift plants from the florist.
8. Spider plant has long been recognized as an air cleanser.
9. Aloe Vera is also called medicine plant. It is a good air cleaner and good for first aid too.
10. Ficus, the weeping fig becomes tree-like as it grows.
11. Chinese Evergreen does well in low light.
12. Philodendron air cleaners include both the vining heartleaf and selloum types.
This list is part of an article posted on The Grow Network by Joe Urbach, the publisher of GardeningAustin.com
Photography, memoirs, random thoughts.
All things TRUTH all things REYMEGA
My own personal art therapy journal
An innovative approach to Science, Philosophy, Politics and Economics
Where everyday is the start of a new adventure
Back to basics living for a new century
Cosmetic Formulator with Natural Products experience.
Thoughts on the Future of Human Life
Green Thumbed Vagabond
Connecting People to Nature, Empowering People to Live Sustainably
Growing the nation's food, one city at a time
Education and Design for a Sustainable World
Self sufficency, dignity and security.
Dedicated to freedom in our lifetimes
Science, Gardening, Work-Life Balance
A Garden In the Making
A fine WordPress.com site
Political Co-Dependency Intervention
My Search For The Simple Life